Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Knight-Mozilla News Innovation Jam in London
Ends Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 1:00 AM (BST)
London, United Kingdom
Hack the future of journalism online.
Mozilla, Knight, Hacks/Hackers London and the Guardian host a design jam in London
May 28, 10am - 5pm, Kings Place
Do you have ideas for how news and journalism can be edgier, cooler, and more interactive online? Are you a web developer? A designer? A news junkie with a hankering to hack?
Qualify directly for a yearlong paid fellowship at the Guardian, the BBC and other major news outlets by entering your idea during the jam.
Team up with innovative peers and build prototypes that help journalists take advantage of the open web and engage with citizens in new ways.
Beer and pizza included.
Follow @KnightMozilla on Twitter.
09:00am - Doors open
10:00am - Welcome and Introduction
10:30am - News online: challenges, opportunity, innovation
Mozilla provides an overview of the MoJo innovation initiative. The Guardian and BBC present case studies on how they are tackling innovation. Audience Q+A follows.
- Guardian - Paul Lewis - Using Twitter to track down witnesses
- Guardian - Alastair Dant - Interactive technologies at Guardian
- BBC - Jonathan Austin - Introducing BBC News Specials
- Mozilla - Mark Surman - Knight-Mozilla News Innovation Challenges
11:30 - Q+A
With above speakers and:
- Sean Clark, Special Projects Editor at Guardian
- Daithi O'Crualaoich, Software Developer for guardian.co.uk
11:45am - Brainstorm and Design Jam
Brainstorm around three news challenges:
- Unlocking Video: Tell stories better w/ video online
- Beyond Comment Threads: Re-invent commenting and discussion
- People-Powered News: What would you build to make news better for the people who create and read it?
Enter your ideas for a shot at a paid one year fellowship at the Guardian, BBC, and other news outlets.
1:00pm - Lunch on the house
2:00pm - Innovation Talk
- Joanna Geary, The Times and Hacks/Hackers London
2:30pm - Brainstorm and Design Jam Continue
Continue jamming on the three news challenges and demo prototypes.
4:00pm - Submit ideas and socialize at the Guardian
Enter your submission to the Knight Mozilla News Innovation Challenge. Grab a beer and enjoy the crowd.
Venue: Guardian - Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9AG (map)
Transport: Kings Cross or St. Pancras
When & Where
The Knight-Mozilla News Technology Partnership
The Knight-Mozilla News Technology Partnership is a three-year partnership between the Knight Foundation and Mozilla to harness open Web innovation for journalism. Through a series of innovation challenges and community events, we will identity 15 fellows that will be embedded in leading newsrooms around the world. These fellows will create new tools, ideas, and news experiences that benefit both readers and newsmakers—all using open technologies. Learn more: https://drumbeat.org/journalism/